- Spatiotemporal Reasoning - how can we reason about raw spatiotemporal data to build more compact and accurate models?
- Structured Prediction - how can we model complex interdependencies to make more accurate predictions?
- Interactive Systems - how can we model the entire interaction experience between users and the system?
- Online Algorithms - how can we design algorithms that can perform well when they learn "on the fly"?
- Implicit Feedback - how can we best interpret and leverage observed user behaviors to train smarter systems?
- Rich User Interactions - how can we best learn from interactions between a user and a rich digital interface?
Software & Data
- Collaborative Clustering - this dataset was collected using a clustering interface. Each user provides a partial clustering of all the items. [link]
- Ambulance Allocation - this dataset was built for data-driven simulation-based ambulance allocation. [link]
- SVMsle - this is a Support Vector Machine method for learning to predict document-level sentiment polarity using latent explanations. [link]
- SVMdiv - this is a Support Vector Machine method for learning to predict diverse subsets for subtopic retrieval. [link]
- SVMmap - this is a Support Vector Machine method for learning ranking functions that that optimize for mean average precision. [link]
Professional ActivitiesNote - Henceforth, I refuse to be a reviewer or editor for any Elsevier journal for reasons described here.
- Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery
- Information Processing & Management
- Information Retrieval
- Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research
- Neural Networks
- Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering
- Transactions on the Web
Conference Program Committee / Reviewer
- AAAI 2014, 2015
- ACL 2012
- ACML 2011, 2012, 2014
- CIKM 2012
- COLING 2010, 2014
- ECML/PKDD 2008
- EMNLP 2011, 2012
- ICML 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 (Area Chair), 2014
- KDD 2011, 2015 (Senior PC)
- NAACL-HLT 2012, 2013
- NIPS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
- SIGIR 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014
- SoCG 2010
- UBICOMP 2014
- WSDM 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- WWW 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Yisong Yue, Patrick Lucey, Peter Carr, Alina Bialkowski, Iain Matthews, Learning Fine-Grained Spatial Models for Dynamic Sports Play Prediction, IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM), December, 2014.
- Yisong Yue, Chong Wang, Khalid El-Arini, Carlos Guestrin, Personalized Collaborative Clustering, International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), April, 2014.
- Alina Bialkowski, Patrick Lucey, Peter Carr, Yisong Yue, Iain Matthews, "Win at Home and Draw Away": Automatic Formation Analysis Highlighting the Differences in Home and Away Team Behaviors, MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference (SSAC), February, 2014.
- Patrick Lucey, Alina Bialkowski, Peter Carr, Yisong Yue, Iain Matthews, "How to Get an Open Shot": Analyzing Team Movement in Basketball using Tracking Data, MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference (SSAC), February, 2014.
- Siyuan Liu, Yisong Yue, Ramayya Krishnan, Adaptive Collective Routing Using Gaussian Process Dynamic Congestion Models, ACM Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD), August, 2013.
- Jiaji Zhou, Stephane Ross, Yisong Yue, Debadeepta Dey, J. Andrew Bagnell, Knapsack Constrained Contextual Submodular List Prediction with Application to Multi-document Summarization, ICML Workshop on Inferning: Interactions between Inference and Learning, June, 2013.
- Stephane Ross, Jiaji Zhou, Yisong Yue, Debadeepta Dey, J. Andrew Bagnell, Learning Policies for Contextual Submodular Prediction, International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), June, 2013.
- Yisong Yue, Lavanya Marla, Ramayya Krishnan, An Efficient Simulation-based Approach to Ambulance Fleet Allocation and Dynamic Redeployment, AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), Special Track on Computational Sustainability and Artificial Intelligence, July, 2012.
[pdf][spotlight slide][poster][press release][data]
- Yisong Yue, Sue Ann Hong, Carlos Guestrin, Hierarchical Exploration for Accelerating Contextual Bandits, International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), June, 2012.
- Yisong Yue, Josef Broder, Robert Kleinberg, Thorsten Joachims, The K-armed Dueling Bandits Problem, Journal of Computer and System Sciences (JCSS), Special Issue on Learning Theory, doi:10.1016/j.jcss.2011.12.028, May, 2012.
- Olivier Chapelle, Thorsten Joachims, Filip Radlinski, Yisong Yue, Large Scale Validation and Analysis of Interleaved Search Evaluation, ACM Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS), 30(1), 6:1--6:41, February, 2012.
- Yisong Yue, Carlos Guestrin, Linear Submodular Bandits and their Application to Diversified Retrieval, Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS), December, 2011.
- Yisong Yue, Thorsten Joachims, Beat the Mean Bandit, International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), June, 2011.
- Christina Brandt, Thorsten Joachims, Yisong Yue, Jacob Bank, Dynamic Ranked Retrieval, ACM Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM), February, 2011. (Best Paper Nomination)
- Yisong Yue, New Learning Frameworks for Information Retrieval, Ph.D. Dissertation, Cornell University, January, 2011.
- Ainur Yessenalina, Yisong Yue, Claire Cardie, Multi-level Structured Models for Document-level Sentiment Classification, Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP), October, 2010.
- Yisong Yue, Yue Gao, Olivier Chapelle, Ya Zhang, Thorsten Joachims, Learning More Powerful Test Statistics for Click-Based Retrieval Evaluation, ACM Conference on Information Retrieval (SIGIR), July, 2010.
- Yisong Yue, Rajan Patel, Hein Roehrig, Beyond Position Bias: Examining Result Attractiveness as a Source of Presentation Bias in Clickthrough Data, International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), April, 2010.
- Thorsten Joachims, Thomas Hofmann, Yisong Yue, Chun-Nam Yu, Predicting Structured Objects with Support Vector Machines, Communications of the ACM (CACM), Research Highlight, 52(11), 97--104, November, 2009. (with a technical perspective by John Shawe-Taylor)
- Yisong Yue, Josef Broder, Robert Kleinberg, Thorsten Joachims, The K-armed Dueling Bandits Problem, Conference on Learning Theory (COLT), June, 2009.
- Yisong Yue, Thorsten Joachims, Interactively Optimizing Information Retrieval Systems as a Dueling Bandits Problem, International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), June, 2009.
- Yisong Yue, Thorsten Joachims, Predicting Diverse Subsets Using Structural SVMs, International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), June, 2008.
- Yisong Yue, Christopher Burges, On Using Simultaneous Perturbation Stochastic Approximation for IR Measures, and the Empirical Optimality of LambdaRank, NIPS Machine Learning for Web Search Workshop, December, 2007.
- Yisong Yue, Thomas Finley, Filip Radlinski, Thorsten Joachims, A Support Vector Method for Optimizing Average Precision, ACM Conference on Information Retrieval (SIGIR), July, 2007.
- An Introduction to Ensemble Methods: Bagging, Boosting, Random Forests and More, presented at Disney Research.
- Practical Online Retrieval Evaluation, co-taught with Filip Radlinski, presented at SIGIR 2011.
- Learning to Rank, co-taught with Filip Radlinski, presented at NESCAI 2008.
Other Talk Materials
- Balancing the Explore/Exploit Tradeoff in Interactive Structured Prediction, California Institute of Technology, October, 2014.
- Learning with Humans in the Loop, Disney Research, May, 2013.
- Optimizing Recommender Systems as a Submodular Bandit Problem, University of Toronto, November, 2012.
- An Introduction to Structural SVMs and its Application to Information Retrieval, University of California Berkeley, October, 2012.
- Practical and Reliable Retrieval Evaluation Through Online Experimentation, WSDM 2012 Workshop on Web Search Click Data, February, 2012.
- An Interactive Learning Approach to Optimizing Information Retrieval Systems, Carnegie Mellon University, September, 2010.
- New Learning Frameworks for Information Retrieval, Microsoft Research, March, 2010.
- Diversified Retrieval as Structured Prediction, SIGIR 2009 Workshop on Redundancy, Diversity and Interdependent Document Relevance, July, 2009.
- Information Retrieval as Structured Prediction, University of Massachusetts Amherst, April, 2009.