- Tips for Computer Science Faculty Applications -- Medium article on tips for crafting a polished faculty application.
- What distinguishes a good Ph.D. student from a bad one? -- Quora answer on how to shore up weaknesses that can lead to problematic PhD experiences.
- How does one become better at research? -- Quora answer on tips for accelerating your growth as a researcher.
- What are must-do's for a PhD student in Machine learning? -- Quora answer on tips for PhD students who want to become proficient in machine learning.
- What machine learning theory do I need to know in order to be a successful machine learning practitioner? -- Quora answer with a list of topics to study for machine learning.
- How do top universities review graduate applications? -- Quora answer on how top universities review applications.
- Using deep learning and PyTorch to power next gen aircraft at Caltech - partnered with PyTorch to film a short clip on our robotics research at CAST, November 2019.
- AI for Adaptive Experiment Design - keynote talk at the Caltech AI-for-Science workshp at Caltech, October 2019.
- Real-World Bayesian Optimization - invited talk at the 2019 Workshop on Human In the Loop Learning (HILL) co-located with ICML 2019.
- New Frontiers in Imitation Learning - invited talk at Microsoft Research in October 2018.
- Tutorial in Imitation Learning - co-taught with Hoang Le at ICML 2018.
- Automatically Improving Automation using Big Data - a general audience talk I gave at Caltech Alumni College in 2016.
- Balancing the Explore/Exploit Tradeoff in Interactive Structured Prediction - a research talk I gave at the NIPS 2013 DISCML Workshop in December 2013.
- Beat the Mean Bandit - a research talk I gave at ICML 2011.
- An Interactive Learning Approach to Optimizing Information Retrieval Systems - a research talk I gave at Carnegie Mellon University in September 2010.
- New Learning Frameworks for Information Retrieval - a research talk I gave at Microsoft Research in March 2010.
- Interactively Optimizing Information Retrieval Systems as a Dueling Bandits Problem - a research talk at ICML 2009.
- Predicting Diverse Subsets Using Structural SVMs - a research talk at ICML 2008.
- Coverage on A Promising Step in Returning Bipedal Mobility -- work led by my robotics colleagues at Caltech that I am collaborating on. [paper]
- Coverage on "Neural Lander" Uses AI to Land Drones Smoothly -- work done in collaboration with Soon-Jo Chung's group at Caltech. [paper][demo video]
- Interview on Creating a 'virtual seismologist', with seismologist colleagues at Caltech. [paper 1][paper 2]
- Coverage on Training a Machine to Watch Soccer -- work done in collaboration with Disney Research. [SSAC paper][ICML paper]
- Coverage on Neural Networks Model Audience Reactions to Movies -- work done in collaboration with Disney Research. [paper]
- Coverage on Sports Illustrated for my collaboration with Disney Research on imitation learning for camera control. [ICML paper][CVPR paper]
- Interview by Jessica Stoller-Conrad @Caltech. [link]
- Predicting Structured Objects with Support Vector Machines - a Research Highlight article published in the Communications of the ACM in November 2009.
- Self-Improving Systems that Learn Through Human Interaction - a popular science blog article I wrote in October 2009.
- My Favorite Quotes - smart words from smart people.
- Tsukuba Depth Perception - learn to cross your eyes and see 3D from the screen.
- LaTeX Resume Template - a simple template for making your own resume in LaTeX.
- Mark V. Shaney - a web interface to one of the best Markov Chain applications ever.
- PHP Schedule Maker - a very lightweight schedule maker class written in PHP.
- Sudoku Puzzle Solver - solves your favorite Japanese puzzles.
- GRE Vocabulary Online Flashcards - helps you study for those pesky GREs.