AboutI am an assistant professor in the Computing and Mathematical Sciences department at the California Institute of Technology. I am the director of the DOLCIT, which is broadly centered around research pertaining statistical decision theory, statistical machine learning, and optimization.
New PhD ProgramProspective PhD Students, please consider applying to Caltech's new PhD program in Computing and Mathematical Sciences.
I also recruit from the PhD program in Computation & Neural Systems.
ResearchMy research interests lie primarily in the theory and application of statistical machine learning. I am more generally interested in artificial intelligence. I am the director of DOLCIT, and I also interact closely with the RSRG and Computational Vision groups at Caltech, as well as the Center for Autonomous Systems and Technology (CAST) and the Center for the Mathematics of Information (CMI).
My research interests lie primarily in the theory and application of statistical machine learning. I am particularly interested in developing novel methods for interactive machine learning and structured prediction. In the past, my research has been applied to information retrieval, recommender systems, text classification, learning from rich user interfaces, analyzing implicit human feedback, data-driven animation, behavior analysis, sports analytics, policy learning in robotics, and adaptive planning & allocation problems.
Selected Recent Publications & Preprints:
- Detecting Adversarial Examples via Neural Fingerprinting
Sumanth Dathathri, Stephan Zheng, Richard M. Murray, Yisong Yue
- Long-term Forecasting using Tensor-Train RNNs
Rose Yu, Stephan Zheng, Anima Anandkumar, Yisong Yue
- Learning to Search via Retrospective Imitation
Jialin Song, Ravi Lanka, Albert Zhao, Yisong Yue, Masahiro Ono
- Generative Multi-Agent Behavioral Cloning
Eric Zhan, Stephan Zheng, Yisong Yue, Long Sha, Patrick Lucey
- Hierarchical Imitation and Reinforcement Learning
Hoang M. Le, Nan Jiang, Alekh Agarwal, Miroslav Dudík, Yisong Yue, Hal Daumé III
International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), July 2018.
- Near-Optimal Machine Teaching via Explanatory Teaching Sets
Yuxin Chen, Oisin Mac Aodha, Shihan Su, Pietro Perona, Yisong Yue
International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Statistics (AISTATS), April 2018.
- Multi-dueling Bandits with Dependent Arms
Yanan Sui, Vincent Zhuang, Joel Burdick, Yisong Yue
Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI), August 2017.
- A Deep Learning Approach for Generalized Speech Animation
Sarah Taylor, Taehwan Kim, Yisong Yue, Moshe Mahler, James Krahe, Anastasio Garcia Rodriguez, Jessica Hodgins, Iain Matthews
ACM Conference on Computer Graphics (SIGGRAPH), July 2017.
- Smooth Imitation Learning for Online Sequence Prediction
Hoang M. Le, Andrew Kang, Yisong Yue, Peter Carr
International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), June, 2016.
[pdf][long][video][press release][Sports Illustrated][DataScience.com]
News & Announcements
- Tutorial: I am giving a tutorial on imitation learning with Hoang Le at ICML 2018.
- Invited Talk: I am presenting at the Intel AI
DevCon. (video below)
- Invited Talk: Invited talk at UT Austin AI Seminar on March 30th, 2018.
- Invited Workshop: I am attending the Data-driven Algorithmics workshop on November 5-10, 2017.
- Invited Talk: Invited talk at Southern California Machine Learning Symposium on October 6th, 2017.
- Blog Article: Our paper on smooth imitation learning was covered in an invited blog article titled Beyond Deep Learning: a Case Study in Sports Analytics. [ICML paper]
- Invited Talk: Invited talk at Microsoft Research Colloquium at MSR New England on September 6th, 2017. [video]
- Dagstuhl Seminar: I am attending the Machine Learning and Formal Methods Dagstuhl Seminar on August 28th - September 1st, 2017.
- Press Release: Our work on data-driven speech
animation is highlighted on Road
to VR! [SIGGRAPH
video (shown below)]
- Press Release & Interview: Neural Networks Model Audience Reactions to Movies, also radio interview. [CVPR paper]
- Microsoft Faculty Summit: I am attending the Edge of AI Microsoft Research Faculty Summit on July 17-18, 2017.
- Invited Talk: Invited talk at Machine Learning Methods for Recommender Systems Workshop to be held at SDM 2017.
- Invited talk: Invited talk at Symposium on Machine Learning and Human Behavior to be held at UC Irvine on March 10th, 2017.
- Best Paper Runner Up: Our paper "Data-Driven Ghosting using Deep Imitation Learning" wins Runner Up to Best Research Paper at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conferece!
video (shown below)]