AboutI am an assistant professor in the Computing and Mathematical Sciences department at the California Institute of Technology.
New PhD ProgramProspective PhD Students, please consider applying to Caltech's new PhD program in Computational and Mathematical Sciences.
ResearchMy research interests lie primarily in the theory and application of statistical machine learning. I am more generally interested in artificial intelligence.
Currently, I am particularly interested in learning with humans in the loop, interactive learning systems, and spatiotemporal reasoning. In the past, my research has been applied to information retrieval, recommender systems, text classification, learning from rich user interfaces, analyzing implicit human feedback, data-driven animation, sports analytics, policy learning in robotics, and adaptive routing & allocation problems.
News & Announcements
- Invited talk at Human Propelled Machine Learning Workshop at NIPS 2014.
- Learning Fine-Grained Spatial Models for Dynamic Sports Play Prediction accepted for publication at ICDM 2014. [demo]
- Personalization Workshop: Please consider participating in our Personalization Workshop being held at NIPS 2014!
- Sports Analytics Workshop: Please consider participating in our Large-Scale Sports Analytics Workshop being held at KDD 2014!
- Personalized Collaborative Clustering accepted for publication at WWW 2014. [pdf][slides][data]
- Invited talk at DISCML Workshop at NIPS 2013.
- Press release of EMS ambulance allocation project with the iLab is now up! [link][research paper]
- Invited talk at WSCD Workshop at WSDM 2012.